Skip Navigation
StreetEasy Logo

Lock failed, late night visit from the 'smith

Started by pushlatency
over 12 years ago
Discussion about
A couple weeks ago, late on a Friday night I came back to find my lock completely inoperable - without thinking I called a locksmith after trying to jiggle the key for about 15 minutes. Panicked, I neglected to contact the super. The locksmith replaced the cylinder, complete mechanism and charged me for an emergency visit. The locksmith also explained that all this work was necessary because the... [more]
Response by rkerrnyclon
over 12 years ago

yikes..Is this not a good example of NYC absurd pricing. How much are the parts worth? How much is a reasonable rates for this guy's time?

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by falcogold1
over 12 years ago

Push,
You have been baptized!
Nothing makes you a real New Yorkers like getting fucked by a locksmith.
Your landlord will most likely congratulate you on your new status.
This town has a steep learning curve.
Cost of education.
Fogetaboutit.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by lucillebluth
over 12 years ago

i've been in that situation before and they won't reimburse because you didn't call the super first. not what you want to hear now, but depending on the relationship you have with your landlord, they would have either sent the super to poke at the lock and then call the locksmith himself, or taken you at your word that the lock doesn't work and needs to be replaced. the latter happened to me recently with a garage lock, landlord said to just call a locksmith and subtract that amount from next month's rent and include the receipt when i send it. but they won't just reimburse you for the money you spend on the place without checking with them.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by huntersburg
over 12 years ago
Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by NYCMatt
over 12 years ago

"yikes..Is this not a good example of NYC absurd pricing. How much are the parts worth? How much is a reasonable rates for this guy's time?"

Calling late on a Friday night, expecting the guy to show up within 30 minutes, regardless of what HE might have been doing (possibly sleeping) ... yeah, a $500 service call rate is quite reasonable for most NYC professionals.

Deal with it.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by hol4
over 12 years ago

nycmatt is union so of course you'd expect that response...

no $650 is not normal.. there are 24/7 locksmiths in my name who make the 'emergency' call under $300.. happened twice, on 2 diff apartments..

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by hol4
over 12 years ago

24/7 locksmith in my "nabe" not name

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by NYCMatt
over 12 years ago

"no $650 is not normal.. there are 24/7 locksmiths in my name who make the 'emergency' call under $300.. happened twice, on 2 diff apartments.. "

Good for you. Care to share their contact information for the cheapskates on the board?

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by hol4
over 12 years ago

apparently your doormen/super doesn't like you enough to share.. no union on union love, what gives broooo?

or you're incapable of a simple yelp search..

but aren't you in wash heights or uptown? does that make you a cheakspakte too? join the club :)

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by REMom
over 12 years ago

forget about your landlord reimbursing you since you didn't contact the super. this happened to me. Afterward, I called a couple of different locksmiths for estimates on the same work and found out my emergency locksmith had ripped me off. I called the emergency locksmith back and told him I was reporting him to the Better Business Bureau and he agreed to reduce the price to the market rate.

Ignored comment. Unhide

Add Your Comment